• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fj44

Colonel
67 Badges
Aug 31, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Dawn in the East​

dawnintheeast.jpg

Welcome to the continuation of my Victoria AAR, Dawn in the East. For those who don't know, this AAR came to a crashing halt when my computer's hard drive died. It has now been upgraded to Victoria 2, and I am very excited about the potential of this new incarnation of Victoria.

To read the Victoria AAR (which I highly recommend, for back story, if nothing else), click on this link. Hopefully I will, at some point, repackage the first act in a pdf for your reading pleasure. Sadly, you'll just have to tough it out for now. :cool:

Some notes:

- The current game date is January 1, 1844.
- Japan has been beset by Reactionary rebels since the winter of 1839-1840.
- Japan was attacked by the Netherlands starting on July 15, 1843.
- England, Japan's only hope as far as allies go, is still neutral (but Japan has +50 relations with them).
- The Emperor has taken an extremely aggressive stance towards Westernization.

I think that covers the basic situation. I should be updating starting tomorrow.

For your enjoyment:

westernization.jpg

rebelsituation.jpg

Last edited:
Woot. Enjoyed the first iteration even though I remained as a lurker. I look forward to the continuation and the resumption of my lurker status. :)

MOST excellent, Sir!

Now you get to enjoy Victoria 2 and re-set your Japan game at the same time!

Rewriting and improving stories is always fun, in my opinion.

Will you start an entirely new storyline, or hold to the earlier one as much as you can?

Rensslaer

Admiral Bieldeers scowled at the man standing across the desk from him.

“…and, so, Admiral, I am to provide you with direction.”

“Is your role entirely advisory, sir?”

“Please, Admiral. There is no reason to be discourteous. I do not intend to usurp your command. I am here to ensure that operations in the Far East meet with the Estates’ approval. My advice will help guarantee you return home a hero to the United Provinces.”

Bieldeers snarled silently.

“Very well. I am holding a Council of War in two hours on the Louisa Hendrika. We would appreciate your presence and…guidance.”

9817fig1.jpg

The winter sun’s pale light made the marines’ black uniforms glow. The lions embroidered on orange epaulettes seemed to step out of the uniform. Fleisingen felt a twinge of pride, as the last of his soldiers formed up on the cobblestones. The commotion of the docks chattered behind him. Even foreign occupation could not diminish the harbor traffic. Past his detachment, the charred shell of his headquarters dominated the bleak Edo skyline. The young captain sighed heavily at the evidence of the Japanese counterstroke.

Fire and death had struck that night. Fleisingen had been sitting at his desk on the second floor, putting the finishing touches on his report to the Admiral. The sound of breaking glass from the first floor was quickly followed by explosions, as the oil-filled bottles violently ignited. By the time anyone could react, the flames were already out of control. Fleisingen escaped by jumping out his window, using a drainage channel to slow his descent. He was luckier than some. Four sailors had suffered broken bones, and another was badly burned.

Fleisingen stood quietly, as his soldiers looked expectantly at him. Despite his own anger at the casualties suffered in the attack, he understood why the Japanese were fighting back. Perhaps that was how his ancestors had behaved towards the Spanish? Fleisingen shook those unproductive thoughts from his head, and addressed his troops.

“Soldiers, I am as angered by this attack as you are. We will hunt down those responsible, and ensure justice is done. However, I will not condone indiscriminate slaughter of the city’s population, and neither will the Admiral. If you suspect a Japanese citizen of being involved in the insurgency, bring it to your sergeant’s attention.”

“Continue with your daily patrols, and do not let your guard down. When on patrol, always remain with another marine. Dismissed!”

The six Japanese men quietly approached their weapon. Without shouting out the gunnery commands like European crews, their black forms slipped in and out of the night preparing the battery to fire. The crank turned, depressing the black iron barrel. All motion ceased. One of the men lit a fuse, and held it over the gun.

"Remember honor."

The smoldering end dropped to the touch hole, and the world exploded into a cyclone of fire and smoke.

Woot. Enjoyed the first iteration even though I remained as a lurker. I look forward to the continuation and the resumption of my lurker status. :)

Thanks for the praise.

Rensslaer said:
MOST excellent, Sir!

Now you get to enjoy Victoria 2 and re-set your Japan game at the same time!

Rewriting and improving stories is always fun, in my opinion.

Will you start an entirely new storyline, or hold to the earlier one as much as you can?

Rensslaer

Nope, there will be no new storyline. This is a direct continuation of the AAR text from Victoria. Fun thing is that by 1844 I already have more than 100,000 Reactionaries organized and ready to take down the government! I really like this aspect of the game.

Hopefully the next update will happen tonight. :)

Ooh, so... Is the detachment smithereens now? :eek:

It helps not to underestimate your opponents. Then again... It doesn't help your opponent! Which is perhaps the point. :D

I like how you drew in Dutch history, re: the Spanish occupation. Nice parallel, there.

So obviously we're picking up from where we were in the V1 story. So I'm hoping your other thread sees a big pickup in traffic where people want to read what went on before this. You have a link to the earlier story, I presume?

Rensslaer

when is it continuing??

Someone is going to have to come up with some Haiku.... and I don't have time right now. Quick! Someone annoy the author! :D

Renss

Sorry about the lack of updates guys. The last few weeks have have been absurdly busy. Honestly, I can't believe how little free time I've had.

thegerman2008 and Rensslaer: Yes, I got the message. :p I'll try to be good. No haiku necessary...for now.

Sadly, I have some bad news: there will not be an update tonight. Hopefully I can carve out time tomorrow night, as I've really been looking forward to continuing Dawn in the East.

Thanks for reading, even though I've been a bit delinquent in my updating. :p

Nice update. I am re-reading one of James Clavell's two novels set in Japan (16th & 19th century) so keen for more of Japan in AARland